Friday, March 15, 2013

Yummy Pot Pie


We love pot pie in our house.  But not the traditional pot pie-you know the one-dripping in sauce.  We prefer a slightly dry but packed with flavor pot pie.  Here's how I make it.

I start with a pre-made pie crust.  I bake the bottom for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven.  Make sure to poke holes in the crust.

While that is baking, I cook the filling for our pot pie in a large saucepan.  Tonight I am using leftover turkey.  (I've used chopped up chicken and canned chicken in the past).  Chop up the meat into smaller than bite sized pieces.  I add a chopped onion and seasonings.  Poultry seasoning, pepper, salt, garlic powder (or minced garlic), cayenne pepper, and worcestershire sauce.


Once the filling is heated through add a DRAINED can of veggies.  (I use Fresh and Easy's peas and carrots).  You can use fresh or frozen or whatever you have on hand.  Make sure to drain the liquid out of the filling.  Once the veggies are cooked through I add a can of cream of chicken soup and a quarter of the can filled with water.    Mix the liquid into the filling until it is thoroughly incorporated.

By now the bottom crust should be done.  Take it out of the oven.

Add the filling.

Add the top layer of crust.


The pan is HOT so be careful.  I use a fork to press the sides down and to punch holes for venting.  It doesn't have to be pretty-just yummy.   Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.



Enjoy.



Bingham's Pot Pie

Meat (Chicken or Turkey-chopped)-Use however much you want.  I used approximately 2 cups
Pie crust
onion
peas
carrots
can of cream soup
1 tsp poultry seasoning (or to taste)
Pepper to taste
salt -1 tsp
cayenne pepper (to taste-I used 1 tsp)
garlic- 1 tbsp minced or 1/2 tsp powder
worcestershire sauce -1 tbsp or to taste

Bake the bottom crust, cook filling on stove, adding soup last.  Fill pie crust, add top crust and bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment