Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blanket Square Swap


I am participating in a blanket square swap with my knitting and crochet group, Twisted Stitchers.  Each person who chose to participate will knit or crochet 12 squares and trade 1 with other members.  Then we’ll sew the squares together and have a sampler blanket to show at the end.  I’m excited to see what my final blanket will look like.  (You’ll have to wait until December to find out too).

I’ve been doing different squares, both for variety and to test out different patterns.  I also tried my hand at writing a few variations to patterns.   I took the stitch repeat pattern for an old doily pattern and wrote my own square pattern.  The doily pattern is named Darling.

Cast on 44 stitches for a 12 x 12 square.

Pattern:

Knit 4 rows (in stockinette)
Pattern repeat (8 rows)

Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl (and all ws rows)
Row 3: knit 6, *k2tog, yo, k2; rep from * to last 7 stitches, knit 7
Row 5: knit
Row 7: knit 6, *k2, ssk, yo; rep from * to last 7 stitches, knit 7

Stop pattern repeat to allow for room to knit 4 rows to complete the square.

I love the final look of this stitch pattern. 








I also did a couple of basic squares changing the colors for variety.   The first is four small garter stitch squares sewn together for one 12 x 12 square and another is a stripped stockinette square.



I’m finishing up a blackberry pattern and a wave pattern using cabling.  I'll post pictures of the squares as I finish them and a photo of the finished swap blanket.


No comments:

Post a Comment