Monday, August 20, 2012

Yummy Chicken Chili Soup

It's been hot out here in Southern California lately.  High 90's and low 100's.  Not what we are used to in the Orange County area.  I much prefer low 80's/ high 70's.  When it gets hot the last thing I want to do is turn on the oven.  But for some reason everything I want to make involves using the oven.  We've been grilling a ton and I've been utilizing our crock pots.  Yesterday I wanted to throw something in the crock pot and thought about chili.  Here is what I came up with. Yummy Chicken Chili Soup.  I took a couple of recipes that I've used in the past and combined elements from both and added a couple of my own.  It turned out quite yummy.


2 chicken breasts
Can Italian stewed tomatoes (puree in blender)
Can of corn (drained)
Can of Chili pinto beans (rinsed)
Can of black beans (rinsed)
½ onion or 1 small onion chopped
2 tsps on chopped garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
3 cups chicken broth

Add cilantro, sour cream and cheese to taste

This is an easy crockpot recipe.  Put the onion and garlic in the bottom of your crockpot.  Add the pureed tomato, corn, pinto beans, and black beans.  (I know that by rinsing the chili flavored pinto beans you will lose some of the chili flavor-this is not a problem because we are seasoning the soup separately and because the beans have absorbed a lot of the flavor.)  Stir.  Add the S & P (go easy on salt).  Add the cumin and oregano.  Stir.  Add the chicken broth.  I used chicken bullion and water.    Stir again and add the chicken breasts to the top.  Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.   An hour before you are going to eat take the chicken breasts out of the pot and shred it or cut into chunks and replace back into the pot. 

Serve with cilantro, cheese and sour cream.  This is really yummy.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment