Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What's on the Needles Wednesday

Hi.  It's been awhile since I've told you what I'm knitting currently.  It's Wednesday and it feels like Friday will never get here.  I love Fridays.  I like Thursdays too because I have knitting night on Thursdays.  It keeps me moving through the week.  Ever feel like work is sucking your soul out of your body.  I do.  Frustrating work...necessary evil cause you have to pay for all the pretty yarn.

I've got a bit of startitis.  I have cast on two sweater and at least 4 other projects.  They're sitting pretty and waiting patiently for me to have time and the energy to get to them.  I know they won't change while they wait, but that doesn't stop me from wishing I could have them all done now.  I'd need about 4 brains and eight sets of arms to get everything done now.

That's not happening, so here is what I am managing currently:

      * That damn hat.
     *  Socks two at a time
     * A scarf swap sweater #5 of 6
     * A sweater, the Emelie
     * The shallows cowl for a friend
     * A handmade item-currently mitts, for a swap (but that may change)
     * The Spectra
     * Collar finishing on my Channel Tee


This hat will be the death of me.  It frustrates me to no end.  I cannot stand knitting it.  It's a gift for a future in law.  He requested it.  The pattern is just not working for me.  I like to think I'm an intelligent person.  This hat pattern makes me question my ability to read and follow instructions.  Other people have made it, well 25 according to Ravelry, and that just makes it worse.  It has 6 pages of written instructions.  Two double brims.  And endless frustration.  It looks weird.  Mike says to finish it and make it a cute police woman's hat for Halloween.  And when I told him it was for the soon to be bro in law, he said, "no guy will ever wear THAT hat".  So, I need to make a new plan.  Haven't decided what yet.

I've been working on my Slime time socks from Oink yarns.  Almost finished. Basic vanilla sock.



Please, please, please forgive my photos this week.  Something is wrong with my camera. It refuses to focus beyond two inches.  But you can sort of see the socks in the blurry photo above.  The close up one is a pretty accurate showing of the colors.

The scarf swap scarf this week is the fan pattern.  I knit while hanging at the beach because Southern California opted out of winter and spring this year.



I always use a plastic baggie for the beach to avoid bringing the beach home with me.  I am not showing you the scarf because the recipient doesn't want spoilers and in case she reads this; you too are left guessing.  

I've been dying to cast on and knit the Emelie sweater.  So I cast on last week.  And knit one row.  Well maybe two rows.  I have other knitting that I promised would get done, so I am making myself wait.  But I really want to knit it NOW.  It sucks being an adult sometimes.  (Don't you miss summer vacation?)

The Shallows cowl has been lying in wait since, November.  A friend, a non knitter, bought the yarn and asked quite nicely if I would make it for her.  I misplaced the pattern, then the yarn; but have found both again and cast on last week.  I've gone almost 40 rows.


The photo does not show the colors well at all.  It is a deep purple and dark blues mixed with lighter purples.  I think it will be gorgeous.  The yarn is Mini Mochi 80% merino wool and 20% nylon.  But has a gossamer feel.  Light and airy.  My only complaint is that it splits.  A lot.  But the softness makes up for that.  I'm hoping that as it gets longer the weight will increase so it doesn't feel like I am knitting into air.  For some reason that makes me strangle my needles.  

I am also working on a pair of mitts for a swap handmade item.  Still early.  No pictures.  And I am more than halfway through the spectra.  No pictures of that yet.  

And I've got my Channel Tee hanging in a project bag waiting for finishing to be done.  I'll get to it eventually.

Be happy.  I've been listening to Pharrell Williams song "Happy" today and I love it.  It has a great tune and a good message and it does make me happy.  It makes me want to get up and dance.  And has helped move time along a bit.  If you haven't heard it google happy or Pharrell and take a listen.  There is a page that has the song playing on repeat to a music video of a bunch of people dancing and walking along to the song.  It's a lot of fun and a guaranteed way to make you smile and feel "Happy".


1 comment:

  1. At least when work is frustrating, there's always knitting :) I get startitis too, but I'm still impressed with your WIP list - what a lot of lovely things! Love the pictures on the beach - after a week of sun, we brits are promised a week of rain, so I'm suitably jealous!

    ReplyDelete