Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What's on the Needles Wednesday & Yarn Bombing LA

I've been knitting away at this Gemini T-Shirt.  I cast on April 1st and did a couple of rows of the neck and lace pattern.  I was busy working on other things and didn't do much with it until a couple of weeks ago when I finished the lace pattern.   This is my first top down shirt/sweater project.  I will admit to being slightly freaked out over the size of this lace pattern.  Not the difficulty-just the length.  My gauge is on the button.  But the lace pattern looked like it was going to be by huge.  Large enough to require a cami or something to be worn under this T.

I live in Southern California.  I don't need a knit Tee that requires a cami underneath.  It's warm enough here almost year round.  So I didn't do the third round of the lace pattern.  I went with stockinette.   After I placed the sleeve stitches on waste yarn I tried it on.  The lace pattern would have been ok.  Oh well.

I am liking the ability to try this on as I go.  I'm going to be able to put in some waste shaping.  The design on this shirt is mainly straight down from the shoulder without any waste shaping.

In the last week I have made a lot of progress on this sweater:


I took it with me to my local knitting and crochet group and after finishing the Age of brass and steam shawl I was able to get a couple of inches in.

I also took it with me to see Star Trek.  Mainly because we arrived a good 45 minutes early and I knew I'd have time.  I didn't count on there being no where to sit.  This shirt is already too heavy to knit standing without any support for the rest of the garment.  So I took over a closed candy counter:


I'm excited to see how this turns out.

I also finished my Age of Brass and Steam last week.  It's a really quick kerchief pattern.  I had about 100 yards of yarn left when the pattern ended and decided to add an extra repeat of the pattern to get more length.  The kerchief can be finished in a couple of evenings.


Do you remember me telling you about the group Yarn Bombers Los Angeles and their project to cover a local museum in granny squares?  Well they've done it.  The unveiling is this weekend.  I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures.  Google Yarn Bombing Los Angeles and you'll find them or check out their facebook page.  If you sent in squares your name will be listed.



No comments:

Post a Comment