Friday, October 12, 2012

Games, Games and More Games


When I was a kid we played a few American board games-things like Monopoly, the Game of Life and Risk.   We were not huge gamers.  In the early 90’s my parents bought us a Nintendo.  My brothers let my sister and I play for a little bit-then declared it was their game.  And in the spirit of being a pissy sister- I decided then and there that I didn’t care, because games were stupid. 

So I never became a computer or console gamer.   In fact I detested them.  (I also hated the Simpson's for a good long while for the same reason).   I met and married a huge gamer.  He LOVES loves loves LOVES to play games.  Mike has introduced me to a whole new type of board games-Euro games. I agreed, as any newly married person would, to learn about his favorite hobby and spend time with him playing games.   My first introduction to these games was with a game called Ticket to Ride.  Ticket to Ride is a train game that has become popular throughout the United States, Europe and Japan. 

From there we learned about Dominion, a card game that has endless possibilities.  There are 6 expansions to Dominion and you can use cards from various decks to play the game.   It’s a game where anyone can win because you start with the same cards and have the same options.  It’s a classic strategy game-although you should be on guard because any good strategy will be STOLEN by your husband (wife, brother, sister, friend, or perfect stranger).   And you will have to come up with something new with which to Kick His Ass.  (We’re very competitive in our gaming).

Our newest game is called Power Grid.  This game looks complicated because there are a lot of small pieces.  But it is really simple.  Your goal is to purchase power plants and open plants in various cities, power the plants and collect your money. The game requires strategy and planning to ensure that you have the resources necessary.  There is bidding and competition.  There is money and tiny little houses.  What’s not to love?  And there’s more to love because more often than not- I win!


We get together with other board game lovers and with friends at local board game shops or meetups.   Meetup.com is a website where you can create or join groups for all types of activities, from business networking to recreational activities and anything else you can think of.   

Things I'm knitting now:

2nd Vegas sock (hanging around since August)
Felicity hat
Surprise hat for Hailey
Sweater
Monkey

No comments:

Post a Comment