I've had this hat on my list for a little over a year. My nephew asked me to make it for him. There aren't a lot of patterns out there for viking hats. I found one on Ravelry-but it's designed for a baby. I decided to follow the pattern for the horns only. I cast on 80 stitches and made a beanie-just winged it based on other hats that I've done in the past.
A lot of other people have made this hat and posted pictures on Ravelry. I went through most of the comments and project pages looking for some ideas and insight into how they chose to make the horns. I didn't want droopy horns. I didn't want the horns to look like bunny ears. Which is exactly what happened when I followed the pattern as written. The horns, once attached to the hat drooped. I tried to bring them up by stitching them onto the hat in a different way.
Yep. That's right. It looks like a bunny hat. Really bad.
Here is a close up of the horn:
I surfed the net, looking for a better idea. I talked to friends at my local Twisted Stitchers meetup group. Using pipe cleaners was suggested and rejected. We tried using a string on the inside to change the shape of the ears. That didn't work either.
I then tried to crochet the horns. That wasn't going well either.
Finally a friend suggested to try working them like a sock-using the heel turn technique to get the horns to make the turn upward.
Here is the final result and I am happy with it. Mainly because I am cannot take making any more horns.
I know that the horns look droopy here. They perk up when the hat is worn. No droopy horns here.