Sunday, September 23, 2012

Summer T-Shirt


I’ve finally finished my summer T shirt that I started in April right before our move.  I kept putting this project down.  Part of the problem was starting it right before moving.  There was a lot of do both before and after the move.  It was an easy project-just straight stockinette stitch.  Stockinette gets boring.  But if you are looking for a project that is easy this is a good one.  (Especially if you are a new knitter or picking it up after a long absence).  It is basic knitting, purling, increasing and decreasing.   I'd make some modifications though.

The pattern is the bondi by the Berroco design team.  You can see my project page on Ravelry here:  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abingham/bondi

The finishing work took a long time, mainly because I kept putting it off.  I don’t like the way that the shoulder neckline looks-the shoulder is too wide which means that a bra strap will show.  This can be fixed by doing short rows or using a smaller needle and doing more rows of neckline finishing work.  

I love the sleeves.  These sleeves look good on my arms and shoulders.  A great tip my favorite knitting instructor gave me once was to find a shoulder and sleeve that you love and that looks good one you.  Then use that pattern or part of instructions in future projects.  I'll definitely keep the sleeve instructions for the future.

I also don’t like the waistline.  The design was made to be loose, a kind of triangle shape.  The front of the shirt is shorter than the back when it is on.  I am not sure if that is a design problem or just a result of having boobs.  Either way the end result is a nice shirt but one that I will not wear.  I have to decide what to do with it.  I don’t think I’ll be frogging it and reusing the yarn.  It’s a bit too itchy for a T-shirt.  Maybe I’ll sell it.  Maybe I'll give it away.  Or maybe I'll keep it for reference.  

Next time I choose a T-shirt pattern I think I will see if I can find something similar in design and try it on first.  Then I would know that it is not something that I look good in and I won't waste 40 hours knitting it.  I always keep a close eye on photos of projects-to make sure that the designer hasn't pinned the back or has the models keeping her arms down to avoid a baggy or odd design to be hidden in a photo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment