Friday, January 20, 2012

Test Knitting






A few months ago a friend of mine introduced me to a group on Ravelry-Test Knitters.  It sounded like a fun idea.  Pattern developers get their pattern tested for free and the tester gets a free pattern (and the opportunity to suggest ways to make the pattern better or easier to understand).  I signed up and started my first test knit, the Kaelin Bear.  Turned out really cute.
 
I gave the bear to one of my many nieces.  The next test was a shawl.  I cursed this thing the entire time I knitted it.  Full of short rows and took forever.  The biggest downside to test knitting is that it turns a happy hobby into another job that you have to get done and you have to get it done on time.  I told myself that I would not sign up for another test knit.  I enjoy knitting and I don't want to hate a project or be responsible for letting someone else down.  The designer is counting on you to finish the project and give feedback that is helpful.

I must have temporarily lost my mind because I not only signed up for another test knit, but I signed up to do a sweater.  This is a hooded cardigan knit in one piece from the bottom up (and not in the round).  So far it is turning out really well.  There have been a few changes but nothing that caused too many problems.  I am using 8 colors and doing stripes.  The pattern was originally done in stripes of primary colors (bright blue, yellow, red, white, etc...).  I'm using variations of grey and blue.

I really do love the way it is turning out and wish I never agreed to do it.  Mainly because my hands are getting sore from the constant knitting and because I have a list of projects that I am itching to get moving on.  I think I'll take a break this weekend and whip out a hat.  Possibly "that other hat"on Ravelry:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/that-other-hat.  We'll have to see.  Mike and I have a full weekend planned-which will include plenty of knitting time (gotta love multi-tasking).  Including knitting at Home Depot while Mike is searching for whatever random piece of wood of hardware that will work for his projects.  Happy knitting everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment